Tuesday, July 10, 2007

He's here!!!!














OK, not sure why I can't add a title to this post but oh well....

Left work early July 3 feeling kind of crampy - used to it by now. Pulled into the driveway at home, got out to get my computer, and water broke. Called hubby to come home and pick up Hayley. Then called OB office - funny that they asked me if I was sure that my water broke. Ummm, yeah, I'm pretty sure that I'm NOT peeing on myself. LMAO. Called others to let them know. Get to the hospital around 4ish and find out that I'm 4 to 5 cm dilated already. Wait for my epidural and the OB. Contractions coming on strong and fast. Tell them that I'm in lots of pain. Meanwhile still leaking amniotic fluid and "sitting" in/on it. Ewwwwww!

Poor Jimmy's hands are about to break in 2 from being squeezed constantly. They give me terbutaline to try to slow the contractions. Didn't work. Story of my life. Tell them that I feel like pushing. Sorta get pooh pooh'd. Am given this horrible little plastic shot container of something for indigestion/nausea/etc - basically something VERY sour. Find out that there's an emergency c-section before me which is what's taking so long - my OB is scrubbing in which means that it must be pretty serious since they're not in the same practice. He finally gets out and I tell him that I feel like pushing. Get checked again and I'm 10 cm dilated! My other bag of waters (or lip or something) breaks as he's checking. Get rushed in to the OR where I FINALLY get my epidural. Gee, I could be pushing by now!

So, Jacob is born at 6 pm - 7 lbs 6 oz and 19.25". Turns out that it's a good thing I had a repeat c-section....evidently the area around the first c-section was so thin that I probably would've pushed into the abdominal cavity instead of out the "normal" way. Plus the cord was wrapped around his neck twice. I get an oxygen mask shoved over my face cause my levels are low. Usually not claustrophobic but was getting there - probably from the smell of the mask. LOL! Get taken back to recovery and feel kind of nauseated. Finally get to hold Jacob. Hayley and grandparents come in to see him.

Make it up to my room later and finally yak - those little kidney shaped yak containers are NOT big enough. Feel much better. Hayley goes home with my dad and conks out. Jimmy stays in my room.

Get the catheter taken out the next morning and am up walking about. Switch from percocet to lortab cause percocet wasn't doing anything for the pain. Remove the "bandages" while in the shower that nite - ahhhhh, love me some hot water!

I've got dermabond instead of stitches on the outside but it ends up oozing so I get another layer and some steristrips. Stay until Friday morning when I get discharged.

Newborn appointment Saturday morning - he's actually 20.25" inches and is up to 7 lbs 3 oz. Get a jaundice recheck (ummm, I think that we're naturally a little yellow to begin with - LOL) and he's fine.

Update to today, Tuesday, 1 week later. Hard to believe! Went back in to check my incision area. 2 stitches have busted so he redresses the incision and leaves 2 open spots for drainage. Puts me on antibiotics and wants to see me again at 8 am Thursday morning.

Having nursing issues for some reason. It's like all of a sudden he forgot how to latch on properly. So, was up until around 3 the other nite and from 2 to almost 6 this morning. Am tired. Plus he's so different from Hayley - she nursed like a pro once we got over the lazy nursing issues. He goes from hungry/rooting to completely ravenous/screaming in 5 seconds and then there's no latching. Still hiccups like crazy, too. Poor guy.

44 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

he's beautiful!

congratulations!!

i hope the nursing gets better fast!

i hope you have lots of love and help right now!

xx
jill

11:09 AM  
Blogger Heather Harrell Photography said...

Shirley, great big hugs to all of you!! He is absolutely perfect. So beautiful!! Congratulations again! xoxo, Heather

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big Congratulations, Shirley! Both Jacob and his big sister are gorgeous and He looks so big and alert in the photos. Hope you heal quickly. We've missed you.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Kimber McGray said...

he is beautiful!!!!

11:23 AM  
Blogger ***Paola*** said...

Yay! Jacob's here and he's beautiful! Congratulations! Hope you get some sleep soon!

11:27 AM  
Blogger Karlyn said...

sounds like heaven ;)

but he's gorgeous! so it'a all worth it. hang in there and try to get some rest.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Illustrator Junkie said...

Congrats! He is adorable!

11:30 AM  
Blogger ***Paola*** said...

Yay! Jabob's here and he's beautiful! Hope you get some sleep soon :)

11:31 AM  
Blogger Peg Graham said...

Oh how sweet he is!!! So very happy he is ok and just simply adorable! CONGRATS woman (glad you're ok too)...miss gabbing with you.

Now go eat some chocolate chip cookies or dim sum!
bwaha!!

hugs-Peg

11:35 AM  
Blogger ck said...

He looks like he has quite the personality already! Sorry about the bf issues. I'm sure it will get better! Glad to get an update from you! Welcome Jacob!

11:37 AM  
Blogger Mary Rogers said...

Shirley, congrats to you! He is simply beautiful and Hayley looks like the happy big sis.

lol on the water breaking issure - they had asked me the same thing - hello don't you think I would know if I was peeing that much...

anyway so excited for all of you! take care and rest!!

*smooch*

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor baby (I mean you Shirley). What a trooper you were. Glad you are both home. He is absolutely handsome. Really! Hope the nursing gets easier. It is hard work, isn't it?

12:23 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Dude, he's gorgeous! Big ol' hugs that things settle down soon for you...know that the repeat c-section recovery isn't the most fun. ;) In the meantime, take it easy, okay? Congrats!

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

talk about freakin cute fam..
congrats lady!

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whew!! Quite the eventful week girl! Congrats! He's a cutie. Eyes open and looking right ath the camera..he mst know what mommy does already! About the nursing, my first was that way...remember..bring the kid to the food and not the food to the kid...I had a habit of leaning into him. Get a nice cool glass of icewater, sit back, take a deep breath and he'll get it!

12:41 PM  
Blogger Norma Kennedy said...

Congrats Sweetie !!!!!!

Very happy for you and he is BEAUTIFUL !!!!

Luv a baby with a good head of hair :')!


Norma

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Shirley. He is a doll. I hope things get better now.

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's gorgeous! And Hayley looks so grown up now.

Congrats!

Stacy

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shirley,
What an adorable baby he is! I love how his hairdo is the perfect length, like he just had it cut and styled. He is so alert looking right at the camera!

I know you are glad he is "out" and now you can enjoy him and feel better.
Jen

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh My Gracious he is beautiful (and big sister is, as well!!). Super huge CONGRATULATIONS!

Christy O

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a handsome little dude!! Heaps of blessings to you and your family!!

Mellie :)

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shirley, Jacob is such a handsome guy! Congratultions! You have a beautiful family!

Rachel

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking of you! Congrats, he is just beautiful!

-Kelly, NannyPea

2:29 PM  
Blogger Nancy N. said...

OMG, he is absolutely beautiful and Hayley looks like such a proud big sister!

Hope that things smooth out fast for you...you've had enough excitement for awhile LOL

((hugs)) for you and toe nibbles for little Jake!

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is beautiful!! Congrats :D

3:54 PM  
Blogger Marie Starr said...

Oh, my, Shirley!! He is so adorable that I have tears in my eyes! What a sweet baby!

Love you girl! Miss you, too!

{{{{{Hugs}}}}} to you and your tweethearts!

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

COngrats !!! Oh my goodness he is just beautiful!! Your little girl is too. What a sweet family. I'm glad to hear that even with all the craziness everything went well. I am so happy for you. When you are feeling up to it, could you please email me your address: alecia.grimm@gmail.com Take care of yourself!!

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous, he's gorgeous, Shirley! I'm praying for a good sleeper too...and an overnight sleeper very very soon :)

4:17 PM  
Blogger #1 Buckeye Fan said...

LOL about the water breaking. They asked me that same dumb question when I told them my water broke. Oh the stories us moms can tell, LOL! :)

Jimmy & Shirley, congrats on the birth of your little boy. He is just beautiful (love his full head of black hair).

Hugs,

Steph:)

4:18 PM  
Blogger monicaintexas said...

So happy for you Shirley - little Jacob is a handsome little guy.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Awwwww... Jacob looks soooo cute! Thanks for the pics! Can't help laughing at the first one - what's the sticker on your forehead!?!

Hope you manage to get some rest. Miss you around the boards!

5:12 PM  
Blogger Karalynn Tyler said...

Slammie, your son is absolutely beautiful! So glad you're all doing well. Hope the nursing issues get straightened out! Come join us on the popped pubsters thread once you're feeling up to it!

6:31 PM  
Blogger Karalynn Tyler said...

Congratulations! Slammie, your son is absolutely beautiful! Hoping the nursing issues get sorted out soon! Come join us on the popped pubster thread when you're feeling up to it!

6:33 PM  
Blogger Laura Fiore said...

Shirley--he is so beautiful! Congratulations on little Jacob, and your recovery so far. Hopefully, he'll figure out how to eat pretty quick...I can't imagine anyone in your family not understanding the concept of eating! LOL

Lots of love coming your way!

6:50 PM  
Blogger Lyneen said...

He is DARLING... all that hair!!!!!!!!!

Hope he start nursing regularly!

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh big congrats to you!

I have a similar story and you are so right - those little kidney shapped containers are NEVER big enough!

Congrats on the little lamb!

9:30 PM  
Blogger Nathalie Kalbach said...

Sooo cute!!!! Congratulations!!!!

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh my Goshhhhhh Shirley He is GORGEOUS and PERFECT in every way. I just want to snuggle him..
Huge congrats!

11:11 PM  
Blogger PROLIX said...

Bonjour dear!!!

félicitations to the whole family!!!
hurrayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

I'm so happy for you all!!!

It's such a good week to celebrate!!!

wish you all the best foreva'!!!

giant hugs for the french family!!!

très gros bisous!!!
mwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

your Audrey

PROLIX
{ThE fReNcH tOuCh}
http://prolix.typepad.fr

Dragon Flaire DT Member

5:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shirley, your little one is beautiful. So, so beautiful. And I know it sounds funny, but he looks so much like my little guy did after he was born! Thank you for sharing your story :)

7:17 AM  
Blogger Lorrie said...

congrats Shirley!!! He's absolutely perfectly, GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!

7:44 AM  
Blogger Davinie Fiero said...

Shirley, he's beautiful! I hope things settle down and that he latches and you get rest asap. Going from one to two is more than twice as hard, so you'll need your strength! Take care sweet thing!

9:02 AM  
Blogger Monica said...

Awesome, Miss Slammers! So so so excited for you! He is very very very cute! Congrats! sleeks

9:56 PM  
Blogger Cupcake said...

Oh Shirley Jacob is wonderful and beautiful! So glad that everything came out okay. Email me when things calm down and you can talk.

Miss you girl - but I understand.

6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home