STP 2010
Seattle to Portland (STP) 2010 (204 miles) was going to be a ONE day event with Jimmy, John, Donny and Ray. Unfortunately about 3 weeks before, John went down in a bad crash and did some serious damage to his body that included lung issues and road rash on one side of his body. He wasn't going to be able to make it this year. Donny and Ray flew out Thursday. Had hibachi for dinner at Mizu before they started putting their bikes together.


Friday was spent doing a short ride in the morning, getting a race packet from the downtown REI, and grabbing lunch. Filled out forms; put numbers on bike, jersey, helmet; and packed the bags that would go on the truck to Portland to be picked up at the finish line. Dinner was pasta and steaks. Which was partial breakfast for Ray and Donny Saturday.
Loading the car Saturday morning.

Bikes on the car.

Looking entirely too happy considering the time and what was ahead of them!

Pulling out around 3:30 to head to the start line at UW.

I get this phone call Saturday afternoon that Ray had popped a spoke on his wheel and that I needed to bring one of Jimmy's off of his other bike. Grabbed the kids, some water and snacks, the camera (can't leave home without that!), the wheel, and the tool box and jumped into the truck. Normally it would take me about 2 hours to get to Portland so I figured that since this was BEFORE Portland it would be faster. WRONG! I didn't know that traffic on I-5 was pretty much at a standstill due to an earlier accident and traffic for the air show at Ft. Lewis. Plus all the people in this freaking state and in Oregon who can't drive anywhere except in the left lane driving EXACTLY speed limit. After 2.5 hours, I finally get to the park after I get a phone call from Ray who sees me driving by. LOL! Wheel gets changed out and off they go. Jimmy and Jim had gone ahead and Donny stayed behind with Ray to pace line/time trial to Portland since they wouldn't have much time after waiting for the wheel.

Scene when I pulled up at the park in Lexington, WA.

The badge all the one day riders got for finishing.

T-shirt that I got for the wheel run. LOL!

Jimmy and Jim finished around 7:30 pm and Ray and Donny around 10 pm.
I was following people's posts on Twitter and this one guy did STP and then PTS the next day. Holy cow. Also various posts and pictures of all the different modes of transportation out there.....skateboard, unicycle, elliptigo, tandems, and even talk of a triple (or whatever you call a 3 person bike).
There's talk of next year already.....
Friday was spent doing a short ride in the morning, getting a race packet from the downtown REI, and grabbing lunch. Filled out forms; put numbers on bike, jersey, helmet; and packed the bags that would go on the truck to Portland to be picked up at the finish line. Dinner was pasta and steaks. Which was partial breakfast for Ray and Donny Saturday.
Loading the car Saturday morning.
Bikes on the car.
Looking entirely too happy considering the time and what was ahead of them!
Pulling out around 3:30 to head to the start line at UW.
I get this phone call Saturday afternoon that Ray had popped a spoke on his wheel and that I needed to bring one of Jimmy's off of his other bike. Grabbed the kids, some water and snacks, the camera (can't leave home without that!), the wheel, and the tool box and jumped into the truck. Normally it would take me about 2 hours to get to Portland so I figured that since this was BEFORE Portland it would be faster. WRONG! I didn't know that traffic on I-5 was pretty much at a standstill due to an earlier accident and traffic for the air show at Ft. Lewis. Plus all the people in this freaking state and in Oregon who can't drive anywhere except in the left lane driving EXACTLY speed limit. After 2.5 hours, I finally get to the park after I get a phone call from Ray who sees me driving by. LOL! Wheel gets changed out and off they go. Jimmy and Jim had gone ahead and Donny stayed behind with Ray to pace line/time trial to Portland since they wouldn't have much time after waiting for the wheel.
Scene when I pulled up at the park in Lexington, WA.
The badge all the one day riders got for finishing.
T-shirt that I got for the wheel run. LOL!

Jimmy and Jim finished around 7:30 pm and Ray and Donny around 10 pm.
I was following people's posts on Twitter and this one guy did STP and then PTS the next day. Holy cow. Also various posts and pictures of all the different modes of transportation out there.....skateboard, unicycle, elliptigo, tandems, and even talk of a triple (or whatever you call a 3 person bike).
There's talk of next year already.....

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home